Sunday, June 8, 2008

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is with consumer profilers. I recently found information distributed to employees of 'big box' stores and how they profile their customers. Customers are type cast into Lifestyle Groups and then the associate can target them with specifics. I feel like I am being personally invaded. They think by profiling me they can asses what I need and what they want to sell. Profits are the goal. Nowhere in this information is 'me' as a real live person. I'm just a lifestyle group and this is what you can sell me.

I feel that I am not in any of their profiled groups and I am insulted by their tactics. They talk about 'the attitudes and psych'. What? If I'm coming into to buy a camera and I have done all my research why do I need you to use your profiling skills to get me to buy MORE?

We have all become numbers in the profit game and we mean nothing but statistics to big business. I have being judged and given a first impression by my age, gender, race or what I wear. If I'm over 25 I do not fit in the 'Urban Trendsetter' profile? Perhaps if my hair is grey I am automatically put in the 'Empty Nester' category?

Instead of profiling me and trying to sell me crap I don't need to increase your profits - why don't you sell me quality products with associates who have knowledge of the products.

Ask Questions?
*engage family
*be curious
*ask lifestyle questions
This is none of your business!!!

Engage
*10 ft/30 sec. - This means hit me quick and be close when you hit me.
*customers just walking past department - This means hit me quick to secure a sale in your department.
*overcome - "I'm just looking" - This mans Hit me quick for that sale, make me buy something I don't need or want.

Have you ever thought that perhaps - "I'm just looking?"
I feel violated by this marketing ploy! I think I shall do my own profiling of associates the next time I go to one of those 'big box' stores. They will be glad when I leave their department.

Sincerely,

Mr. Pid

No comments: