Friday, March 7, 2008

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is with wayward road signs. You've seen them before along the interstate on a holiday weekend when traffic is backed up for miles. There is no reasonable explanation for their existence. Someone - somewhere has this job of scattering useless road signs along our paths.

I'm driving (the speed limit) listening to the radio in morning traffic and there it is - 'Left Lane Closed Ahead'. Exactly what is the definition of AHEAD? I budge into the right lane - like most of the other drivers. Some are oblivious to the signs. Two miles later I realize the lane is not closed.

'Slow Congested Area'? What constitutes congested? It's a four lane highway in the burbs. And a sign like that could be placed on every highway in any city. Congestion is a part of life - do I need a sign to warn me?

Left lane closed AHEAD - after several miles I notice orange cones in the median. They want the left lane closed because they left orange cones in the median? Makes no sense. After awhile you grow negative to all their wayward signs and totally disregard them.

Say what you mean and mean what you say and that includes road signs that have no meanings. When there truly is a lane closure it's sudden, without warning and without road signs.

Sincerely,

Mr. Pid

No comments: