Thursday, December 27, 2007

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is travel by car. I have just returned on a whirlwind trip from Florida to Virginia and back to Florida. Traffic!! Headaches!!! Crazy drivers!!!! Road construction!!!!! You know it's a bad sign when you leave in the pouring rain, in the dark and it's almost freezing. The lines painted on the road are fading. I don't know exactly what lane i'm in? The downpour does not help the situation. Cars are whizzing by my leaving me completely in their wake of sloppy rain.
By the time I hit North Carolina the rain has leveled off but still dark and gloomy. I can live with sprinkles and dark and gloomy. What is impossible to accept is the traffic jams. All through North Carolina I am traveling at a parking lot pace. South Carolina brings an end to the drizzle. Still dark and gloomy and still I95 looks like the mall parking lot the day before Christmas. I don't see any accidents. I don't see any speed traps. Like anyone could speed! What's the problem?
Georgia has a bit of sunshine and apparently has chased away the gloomy darkness. Still, the creep mode along I95 continues. I have been in the car for 11 hours. I'm cranky, hungry and have drivers cramps. The last three miles to the hotel exit is excruciating. The cars are at a total standstill. My temperment is ready to explode.
Finally, finally, the hotel looms in sight. I can feel the soft comfy bed beneath my road weary body. The parking lot at Cracker Barrell is only 3/4 full. That means the hour wait is only 15 minutes, if we are lucky. I check into the hotel and flop on the bed. AAAHHHHHH.
A good meal and a great night sleep and I can get up and start the road rodeo all over again. I ask myself? Why don't you just fly? But I have no patience for sitting in an airport dealing with delays, late departures and expensive cardboard food.

travel on,

Mr. Pid

No comments: