Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is with Valentine's Day. What a RIPOFF!!! Chocolate - Roses - Cards - Expensive jewelery - in our face. Buy me. Show the love of your life how much you really love them by placating them with gifts. Who is benefitting from this spending frenzy? Certainly not me. Certainly not my lover - whatever gift I may purchase does not satisfy them - totally. More is better - bigger is best.

Would a plain old candy bar do the trick? I think NOT. It's gotta be BIG. It's gotta be expensive. BLING - BLING.

We are being pressured by the retailers to buy-buy-buy. It seems like a herd of cattle being sent to the slaughter farm. I will not be forced to enter the ring of materialism. I will not help big business profit on this foolish day. If I engage in this activity it will be from the heart and not the local Walmart store or Jerrods Jewelers.

I can pick a bouquet of dandelions, tie them with an old shoelace and hand them over to my sweetie-kins. I can cook up a great frozen dinner and set the table with tea lite candles and open a 16 ounce bottle of Dasani water and pour it into my finest jelly jar glasses. For sweet music I can open the windows and be serenaded by my neighborly drummer and the sound of sirens blasting the air. For a little RAP music perhaps the other neighbors will get into one of their nightly word fights. Oh and the words they use are certainly RAP orientated.

So I absolutely refuse to be sucked into this mass media blitz of buy - buy - buy. I love you snookums and I will show that love with a personalized gift. Tonight we will sit on the old lumpy couch, snuggle and watch the movie channel, - with popcorn (slightly burnt) and bottle of our favorite water (probably tap water) and all this after our wonderful cozy meal served on paper plates.

Lovingly,

Mr. Pid

No comments: