Saturday, January 5, 2008

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is with clearance items improperly marked. Actually it's not directly related to the items but to the store employees. Or perhaps we can blame it on the computer and not humans trying to rip customers off.

I have had so many negative experience with purchasing clearance or even sale items at any store. I just know from past experience that they will ring up at the original price at the register. Surprise-Surprise!!

In the past at one particular store where the tactics are blatant - I fixed their wagon. On the corner between housewares and sporting goods I found a small item that I could not possibly live without. It was on clearance. Right next to the item stood a FULL size cardboard person scantily clad? Who knows why? In her paper hand she held a clearance sticker with the price CLEARLY marked. I picked up my much needed purchase and walked to the register. The smiling associate with the lovely blue smock scanned my item and told me the price.

I smiled back at her and said, "NO, it's on clearance. That is NOT the correct price."

"Well, I am truly sorry but that's what it scanned."

"I will be right back," I smiled politely at her.

I returned to the corner of sporting goods and housewares and grabbed the fair cardboard maiden and returned to the front register. I plopped the entire display on the counter and pointed to the price sticker firmly attached to the scantily clad cardboard dummy.

"Well, these items were misplaced," the associate said with an edge of tart in her voice.

I quietly pointed to the SKU number on my item and lightly touched my fist to the cardboard trollop. It bent slightly but the associate caught my drift. She called her manager, corrected the price and I was on my way.

Yesterday, I heard the sounds of clearance at another local store and off I went. I found the clearance rack and did my calculations. $5.00 at 50% off - that sounds like $2.50 to me. I picked up two items and proceeded to the register. The friendly clerk rang up my purchase - it totalled more than $10.00 (tax).

I said, "I don't think so."
"Excuse me?", he said ever so perplexed.

It was odd that the clearance rack sat right next to his register and he saw me pick up the items.

"They are on clearance," I said most politely.
"Oh, sometimes the computer doesn't pick these things up," he smiles.

That's it blame it on the computer not operator error. So I removed every item from the clearance rack and said, "I'll take them all."

Every item had to be rung up individually and it took quite awhile to conclude my transaction. The line behind me grew longer. My smile was contagious if only to me.

The order was completed with the clerk a little flustered but still smiling as he bagged my items; I felt no remorse.

"I looked him straight in the eye and said," I think I will pass on this purchase."

I walked away into satisfied oblivion. Do the stores make these MISTAKES on purpose?

No comments: