Thursday, January 31, 2008

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is with greeting card companies. Valentine's Day is fast approaching and we are being bombarded with THINGS to buy for our love of the moment. Cards, especially expensive cards are at the top of the buy me list. Has no one ever heard of a hand made card or little love bits written on a napkin or a receipt. Now that is romantic, spur of the moment and very creative. No? It's not cheap. And those situations will not make a profit for card companies. And they are in it - For Profit Ony - not to enhance our lovelife. The only thing it enhances is their pockets.


Make a holiday - promote it excessivelly and make bucks. The same thing is true for Grandparents Day. Grandparents Day is a wonderful holiday but lets not destroy it with card buying. I noticed the Valentine cards and HUGE boxes of candy on the store shelves the day after Christmas.

I used to enjoy Valentines Day but now all I see is commercialization and large corporations making profits. It seems nothing is sacred anymore - not even love. So I - will not fall into the promotional trap of buying expensive gifts, cards and candy for my significant other.

P.S. I have also seen a line of divorce cards.

with much love,

Mr. Pid

No comments: