Sunday, January 27, 2008

Daily Gripe

Hello, my name is Stu. Today my gripe is with people who frequent grocery stores with no regard for those standing behind them in line. I believe when the sign says - EXPRESS LANE 10 items or less - that is what it means. Ten items or LESS. Not 20, not an entire weeks worth of groceries but 10 or less. I find myself behind this person who has many more items than 10. I have three. He places his items on the belt and walks away? He picks up a few more items from a nearby display.
We all wait for his return. The wonderful cashier smiles. I hear what she isn't saying. When she tells him the total purchase he reaches deep down in his pockets and pulls out change. You know like nickels, dimes and quarters. He starts counting the money or at least tries to in vain. The friendly (gotta love em) cashier helps him count his money. My ice cream begins to melt.

The courteous person drops money on the floor. After eons of eternity his money has been counted. He then pulls out a $10.00 dollar bill and asks for change. I have removed myself mentally to my 'happy place.' I tend to visit this place quite often. Thank you - thank you - the man leaves.

The sweet cashier smiles politely and apologizes to me for the inconvenience - like it's her fault. Give this saint a raise. I stroll outside and watch the courteous person drive off from the handicapped space. Does he have a sticker hanging from his mirror - NO. Does he have one of those special license plates - NO. Does he look handicapped - NO.

Respectfully,

Mr. Pid

No comments: